Tension Stress and Trauma Release Exercises
What is TRE ®?
Lee Barnasson, TRE ® Tension Stress and Trauma Release Practitioner can show you how to access your body’s own innate capacity to restore balance and calm.
TRE® is based on the fundamental idea that stress, tension and trauma are both psychological and physical. TRE®’s reflexive muscle vibrations generally feel pleasant and soothing and after doing TRE® many people report feelings of peace and well being.
What are the benefits of TRE®?
- TRE® is a somatic, body based process which, when done responsibly, with the support of a Certified TRE® Practitioner, can allow the individual to discharge tension from the body and experience a range of physical and emotional benefits.
- When tension is released anywhere in the body, the brain registers a reduction in pain signals and produces new hormones for relaxation and comfort.
- Neurogenic tremoring increases the resiliency of the body because it produces deep relaxation that naturally reduces stress levels.
- TRE® can release emotions ranging from mild upset to severe anxiety whether caused by work stress, excessive worry, conflict in relationships, physical stresses or traumas from accidents.
- TRE® has been reported to reduce pain, increase mobility and aid healing of past injuries.
- It can also release the effects of chronic stress and unresolved trauma, including PTSD.
What is different about TRE®?
- The therapeutic muscle tremors evoked by the TRE® exercise process is a natural, internal, neuro-physiological response of the body to reduce stress and restore a sense of wellbeing.
- TRE® allows the release of stress, tension and trauma without the need to remember or recall specific events or re-experience any unwanted emotions. If at any stage a person feels unsafe or uncomfortable during a session, the tremors can be stopped at will. This is one of the key ways that TRE differs from many traditional approaches to trauma recovery. It is a safe and gentle process for trauma recovery without causing any reactivation or revisiting of past traumatic events.
- TRE® is designed to be a self-help tool that once learned, can be used as needed, throughout life, continuously supporting and promoting personal health and wholeness.
- TRE® can be taught as either a simple self-help, tension reduction technique in a physical exercise program OR it can be used as an effective complementary practice when integrated with other treatment modalities.
- TRE® can be safely used in conjunction with other modalities to bring about real and lasting relief from the effects of trauma and stress, including the treatment of PTSD and anxiety disorder recovery.
TRE® and other modalities
- TRE® by itself is not a therapy but because it initiates a release mechanism from deep within the brainstem, it offers a profound adjunct to talk-based and cognitive therapies.
- It is a physiological self-help tool that can reset the body to a relaxed state. Once you learn how to initiate and regulate the tremoring you can use this technique on a regular basis to restore and maintain balance without the need for direct ongoing assistance by a therapist.
- Around the world, a wide range of health professionals are integrating TRE® into their practice including psychologists, counsellors, psychotherapists, social workers, doctors, physiotherapists, chiropractors, massage therapists, life coaches, Pilates instructors, body workers and yoga teachers.
TRE® is a safe and effective stress release technique for most people. The TRE® process should not be used as a substitute for trauma recovery procedures of a medical or psychiatric/psychological nature. Individuals who have physical or psychological conditions that require strict regulation, individuals with fragile psychological defenses, a complex history of trauma or restricting physical or medical limitations should consult their medical practitioner or a Certified TRE® Provider prior to performing the exercises.