Hypnosis via Skype – how does that work?
Hypnosis itself does not require some specific “power” that the hypnotherapist has, so it’s fine if you’re not in the same room. To put it simply, hypnosis involves you narrowing your focus of attention – and I will guide you with that, using my voice and auditory suggestion.
Just as I do when I’m working with you in the same room, I’ll spend time getting to know about you, and what’s going on for you so I can help in a way that is right for you.
Most people find after a very short time it begins to feel as though we are sitting down together in the same space, the technology ‘disappears’.
I have been working via Skype for many years with clients who live interstate and overseas and am very comfortable doing this.
ARE THERE ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHERE IT’S NOT APPROPRIATE TO WORK THIS WAY?
It is not appropriate to take part in a session, by Skype or otherwise, if you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If you have a history of psychosis you must tell me.
What do I need to do to prepare?
- At the time of your appointment, you’ll need to be set up in a quiet, private space, sitting in comfortable chair that provides head and neck support. A pillow or cushions are suitable supports if the chair back is lower.
- Please do not lie on your bed.
- Ideally I will be able to see you from the waist up.
- Let people in your household know that you’re not available to them for an hour and a half.
- Make arrangements to secure your pets.
- Don’t wait until the last moment to download and install Skype, please do this ahead of time and familiarise yourself with how it works.
- If you need help to do this, let me know, we can do a test run before the scheduled session.
- You can have free access to Skype.
- If you already have Skype but haven’t used it for some time, familiarise yourself with it, some of the features and functionalities may have changed.
- Ideally, you’ll be using a tablet, laptop or desktop computer – something that you won’t have to hold.
- At the time of your appointment, make sure all of your alerts – email, SMS, social media apps, etc – are OFF. This is really important. Close off any programs or apps that you are not using. You’ll get the most from your session when you’re free of distraction and focused.
- It is important that you have a stable internet connection, and that you have either working speakers and a microphone, or a headset with a microphone attached to your device. If you are using a desktop computer it will need to have a camera and speakers.
- Have some water handy.
- Be comfortable.